Monday, September 22, 2014

Top of Utah Marathon!

The last full marathon I ran was when Bailey was still in a stroller. When Sawyer left on his mission I decided I was going to run one. I guess it was my own little way of supporting him. I wanted to do something physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging just like him. I wanted to be hard working, dedicated, consistent, and stick to a schedule, just like he has to do. I spent 18 weeks training, and then ran the Top of Utah Marathon in Logan. My original goal was to finish in 4 hours and 10 minutes. I was doing pretty good with my training, until my longest 20 mile training run. I had a really bad run, and for some reason that totally messed with my mind. My confidence was shot, my anxiety creeped up, and I changed my goal to just finishing. I didn't care how long it took me, I just wanted to cross the finish line. For some reason I just had this mental block that I was going to make it to mile 20 and then not be able to go any further. My crazy mind was over thinking everything! A few times durning the race I could feel the anxiety and panic creep up and I would have to calm myself down. Bailey was waiting for me at mile 16, and ran with me for 6 miles. She wanted to help me get past that mental block I had set for myself. She helped a ton! I got to mile 21, and felt pretty good. She got back in the car, and was just going to run the last mile with me. They didn't think they could get her to that spot, so she ended up getting out again at mile 23, and running the last 3 miles with me. They knew I wanted to cross the finish line holding 'Elder Varvel' so Bailey carried him the last 3 miles for me, and then handed him off to me right before the finish line. I'm happy to say that I had a great race, and still managed to reach my original goal. I finished in 4 hours and 7 minutes. I was tired and sore, but I can honestly say that I never hit the big wall that I was so worried about. I guess I need to have more faith in the training process. And, just to toot my own horn a little more, I ran my fasted half marathon, and completed a full marathon this year at age 40! Woot woot! You're only as old as you let yourself get!

Coming down home stretch!
I did it! 26.2 miles!

My awesome helpers and cheerleaders!
I ran this with Brad Whitehead. I found out part way through the race that his Teacher's Quorum boys came to Logan to surprise him. Coolest thing ever! We have the best friends and neighbors. So many people were there to support us! Thanks Savannah, Bailey, Payton, Mark, Jason, Jimmie, Darren, Corbin, Ben, Brad, Marlee, Alex, Bruce, Laura, Makenna, Brett, Jim, and Julie! You guys are the best!
My family is the BEST! Whenever I get crazy ideas, I always have them there supporting me 100% of the way. I can't tell you the number of times Mark drove around town the past 18 weeks bringing me water on my long training runs, or riding his bike on race courses to make sure we were all doing okay. I mentioned my longest training run didn't go so well. I got back and found this sitting on the counter from Bailey. I got little notes from her throughout the whole process. Training for this and running it was a really hard thing, but it was made a lot easier by awesome people!

No comments: