Sunday, September 13, 2015

We Have an Author in the Family!

Bailey has always wanted to be a author. She used to sit in the backyard and 'write books' when she was younger.  She took a Creative Writing class her freshman year, and loved it! She learned a ton, loved the challenge, and grew to love writing even more. She had an assignment in English to submit a certain kind of poem for a national (western states) contest. Her poem was selected by her english teacher to be submitted to the contest. Eventually she found out her poem was selected as a High Merit Honor, and was published in a book! She also submitted a short story, and that was selected too. I'll post about that later, because we haven't received that book yet. She was pretty excited! Now she can check 'become a published author' off her bucket list. I love the poem she submitted! 

Home
By Bailey Varvel

Headphones in my ears,
Thump, thump, thump
Goes the music.

Shoes on my feet,
A tight tangle of knots
I form with the laces.

Feet on the pavement,
Creating a rhythm
As one at a time they hit the ground.

Wind in my hair,
Whispering its soft encouragement
As it passes by.

Fire in my legs,
The muscles burning
From the intensity of finding new strength.

Mind in the zone,
Concentrating completely on
Breaths and steps.

I am at peace,
Because I am running,
And, to me, this is home.

The book her poem is in. 
Page 30!

No comments: