Thursday, June 14, 2012

Oregon Coast (Southern)

Florence
Florence has about 40 miles of sand dunes that line the coast. This may have been the highlight of our trip. We rode a sand rail through the dunes. It was FAST, CRAZY, SCARY, and AWESOME all at the same time! There were so many times that I thought for sure we were going to flip. Anyone who visits the Oregon Coast should do this!


 Getting ready to go!

 Our driver let us stop a few times to catch our breaths, and enjoy the view. 

 I got the worst of the sand! I was on the back edge, with no helmet. This is what my seat looked like when we stopped. I had so much sand in my ears, hair, and any other strange place you can think of. Sawyer lifted up his shirt when we were finished, and his belly button was filled with sand. I was cracking up when he dumped out his shoes at the end. I wish we would have filmed it. The whole experience was AWESOME!

 This is the Conde McCullough Memorial Bridge. It's a mile long. There were a lot of cool bridges along the way, all designed by the same guy.

 We left Hwy 101 for another short scenic drive. It took us past a couple of lighthouses. This is the Cape Arago Lighthouse.

Bandon
We spent the night in Bandon. When we got up the next morning, we started off with horseback riding on the beach! Bailey was so excited to cross that off her bucket list! It was such a pretty place!


 We rode out to a place called Face Rock. My horse was HUGE! Bailey started laughing when she was behind me because she said it looked like my legs were doing the splits. I was on Red, Mark rode Tex, Bailey rode Hannah, and Sawyer was on Star. 

 We drove back down to Face Rock when we were done with our horse ride. This is face rock. There is a legend that goes with it. Do you see the face? It's an Indian women looking up at the moon. It was a cool beach that had caves to explore.

This is the Cape Blanco Lighthouse. It's the last one along the Oregon Coast before the CA border.

This is a view from port Orford. 

We stopped one more time in Brookings for the kids to go to Harris Beach, but it ended up being to windy, so we headed to the California border to see the Redwood Forrest. We were sad to leave the Oregon Coast. It is one of the prettiest places I've ever been.


No comments: