Tuesday, May 10, 2022

April Running

 Spring weather in Idaho is about as unpredictable as you can get. We may have blue skies and sunshine one minute, and freezing temps and snow the next. The one thing we can ALWAYS count on in the spring is the wind. It makes for interesting running, that's for sure! We just have to gear up for it, dress appropriately, and not let it keep us from getting outside.

Women's Runs:

Our first women's run of April was plogging! We set out on a very cold evening with gloves and trash bags and hit the 14th street canal to clean up the trash in and around it before the water started running. We don't move as fast as when we are running, so I froze my butt off! The four of us ladies picked up tons of trash though!

Amanda-Bobbie-Tricia-Cheryl

Cleaning up the canal.

We filled Sheila all the way full!

This much trash was just from a half mile section!

Our next run was down Trail Hollow. Other than some wind, it was a great evening!

Georgina-Stacey-Steph-Trricia-Heather

The third women's run of the month was on Henry Creek Road. I love this area in the spring when it starts to green up. So pretty!



I missed the final run, because I was in Boise for the birth of Baby Nora! 😍

Thunder Ridge Group Run:

I organized an IFTR group run around Thunder Ridge. We had a great turn out, and a great morning! There were a few different distance options, but a pretty big group of us did the 10 mile route.

Such a great turn out (and this is without about 6 people in the picture).

The sun coming up over the Tetons.


Our 10 mile crew!

Cress Creek Canal:

I love our Friday afternoon jaunts with Steph in Ririe. I can't wait for Kelly's to have less snow, but for now, the Cress Creek Canal is a great option. My back was messed up, and Mark can't run, so we mostly just walked.



Crazy Meadow Creek Loop:

Ryan organized an 11 mile run on a loop I had never done before, so I was excited about it. All night we heard the wind blowing, and seriously thought our house was gonna blow over! It was crazy! I was wondering if anyone would show up for the run, because the wind was still equally bad in the morning. I was prepared to be the only one there, but lucky for me, I have lots of equally crazy, and like minded friends that decided to give it a shot. The loop was awesome, and we were treated to an amazing sunrise, but HOLY WIND! It was nuts! There was one stretch where I thought for sure it was gonna lift me right off the ground. We were running, but hardly able to move forward. By that point we were already half way through the loop, so all we could do was keep moving forward. It sounds miserable, but because I was with great people, it was just dang funny! πŸ˜‚

The sunrise at the start! 😍

Running into the sunrise.

So pretty; it made the wind bearable at the beginning.

This was the crazy middle section! We look nice and relaxed, but we were almost getting blown over. 😁

The last couple miles we were sheltered a little bit, so we got a little break from the wind.

The reservoir is soooo low! It's so sad to see. I'm ready for summer, but I try not to complain when we get spring snow, because we need it so bad.

Here's all my crazy friends, minus Cheryl, because she had already left.

Blacktail:

I did a solo run at Blacktail. I did two rounds of running down to the lake, and power walking back up. Other than the wind, it was great. 



Greenbelt:

I love my Thursday runs with Joyce and Jen. Jen couldn't go on one of the Thursdays, and she hates running around the greenbelt, so I figured that would be a great time to give Joyce a tour of that area of Idaho Falls. We did 10 miles, and I showed her the greenbelt, Snake River Landing, and Freeman Park. 

We saw the cutest bunny!

This squirrel almost climbed up my leg! 😳

Joyce & Tricia

Kepp's Trail of Hollow Ozone Bones:

I organized another IFTR group run in the foothills, and we had another great turn out. I think it really helps to have multiple distance options for people. I did 19 miles, and I felt really good. I think this is the farthest I've gone since The Pulse.

I love our IFTR peeps!

They don't call it Trail of Bones for nothing!

Coming up Trail of Bones.

Amanda-Steph-Joyce-Tricia-Wallace

Wallace was eating our trail markers.

Looking off of Kepp's Ridge.

We found Mark on Trail Hollow walking, and doing a little bit of illegal running. πŸ˜† I think he covered 12 miles!

Little Moose:

I got a call Thursday morning from Bailey, and she was pretty sure she was starting labor. She assured me that I should go on my planned run with Joyce, and maybe she would know more by the time that I got back. We were gonna do 10 miles, but I ditched Joyce after 6, because I was antsy to get to Boise. I showed Joyce the Little Moose loop, and since she is the animal whisperer, we actually saw the trail's namesake. Seriously, she is an animal magnet!

Running up the little canyon.

The moose the trail was named after.

April is never my favorite running month in Idaho, and I'll admit I did a lot of miles on the treadmill, because sometimes I just can't take the wind anymore. But, I also had a ton of fun outside with great people. It's always more fun with friends. Hopefully May will bring less wind, but if not, we'll just make the most of it like we did in April.

No comments: