Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Fun

We LOVE Christmas! We start getting ready for it right when Thanksgiving is over. I thought I'd share some of our Christmas fun from this year.

THE TREE
A lot of my friends and neighbors have these trees that are decorated beautifully. Each year I think maybe I will do that too. But then I pull out my hodge podge of ornaments that have been collected over the years, and I forget all about a nice, fancy tree. I LOVE our cartoon tree that represents all the different stages of our lives. I have one ornament on the tree from back when I was in elementary school. Each year I get my kids a new ornament that represents something in there lives at that time. It has become a tradition that they love. This year Bailey got a music note because she plays the guitar, and Sawyer got a dog bowl, because he got Reeses.


NATIVITY
I have a nativity that I LOVE. I got it right after we moved into our first house. Again, it's nothing fancy, but it has been my favorite Christmas decoration for years. I proudly displayed it again this year. Luckily I took a picture of it right when I put it out, because the dog ate it. Yes, you read that right...THE DOG ATE IT! I could have killed her. She ate Marry and Joseph, so now all that's left is one sheep and the baby Jesus.

SANTA
We go to the mall each year and visit Santa. I tell my kids that they can ask for one or two things from Santa, but that's it. I tell them that he has a lot of kids to get stuff for, and they don't need to be greedy. This year Bailey asked Santa for a purple Tiara Pro mountain bike. Santa asked if she wanted anything else, and Bailey said that if the bike was too big, then she wanted double dutch jump ropes. Again, Santa wanted to know if she wanted anything else. Bailey's response cracked me up. She said, "I think that's plenty." She's so cute. I hope he brings her what she wants.

PUZZLE
Each year we start a big puzzle after Thanksgiving. Our Goal is to have it done by Christmas. We usually become obsessed and end up finishing it a few days later. This year was no exception. Here's a picture of our puzzle. You can't tell by the picture, but there is one piece missing. Can you guess why? That's right, the dog ate that too. We actually caught her in the act.

Bailey was SO excited one afternoon. She called us all into the living room because she had a surprise for us. She had created her own "live" nativity. It's pretty impressive if you ask me.
We've had so many more fun times this Christmas season. Sawyer had a Holiday Dance at school. He danced his first slow dance. It was with Christie, the girl he has liked all the way through middle school. Bailey had a great Christmas concert for school. She sang some cute songs and played the recorder. She also had a fun Christmas party with her class . I was in charge, and it turned out really good, but of course I forgot my camera for both of those. We also got to be the live nativity for our church Christmas dinner and program.

Even though she's naughty, she sure is excited about Christmas!

We hope you're busy making great family memories too. Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Tricia!!! I miss your family so much. I love reading your blog. It totally cracks me up. I still find myself giggling about Mark and the ladder/text message event; but it must have been very painful. Your family is gorgeous!

Cris said...

Sounds like you had a great holiday season. Wish we could have got together on Christmas day like the old Varvel- Freeman tradition. Miss you guys and hope we can get together this summer!

Kassie Temple said...

I think your tree is awesome! I love the idea of the ornaments. I just may steal that if you don't mind. Bailey is so cute. She cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

You guys are so awesome!! Your blog helps keep me going. I laugh, I cry, I miss all of you so much. What wonderful traditions you have. I love you!!

Grammy

Scott said...

In our house it is Nathan and Chloe who eat or destroy things! Looks like you had a great Christmas. I can't believe how old Sawyer and Baily look. Please come visit us before they forget who we are! Love ya

Anonymous said...

Trisha hello from Iraq this is Brett Spence I saw a comment on my wifes blog from you and was really glad so I could write on yours. Pictures look great and Sawyer is really getting big from the pictures. Baily reading full books is insperational to me and Meg thinks she is the greatist. I want to thank you Mark, Sawyer, and Baily for all the help you do for Nicole with the snow. I pray for your family a lot because of how grateful I am I worry so much about her and your an answer to my prayers thank you all Brett PS nice touch with the dog and the hat