Monday, March 19, 2012

Queen Catherine II of Russia

The GATE program was done away with this year due to school budget cuts. Falls Valley started their own similar program. Bailey gets out of her regular class once a week to go to this special class. I will confess that I did not want her to do it AT ALL (I know, I'm a bad mom). I didn't want her to miss the work in her regular class, and most of the time, these programs just lead to extra projects for the parents to do. She really wanted to do it, so I said she could try it out for a month and see how it went. Well, it went great.
The kids have been working on an "It's your birthday" project. They had to find someone/something they could research that was in some way related to their birthday. Bailey did her project on Queen Catherine II of Russia. They had to have 20 fact cards done each week with 3-4 facts per card. They did 60 cards total. That's a lot of work for a 6th grader. Then they had to make a poster to display about their person/event. And lastly, they had to do a big project about what they researched. They had a special night at school where all the projects were set up, and the parents could come and see what everyone did. Bailey wasn't able to attend the project night, but she still went all out on her project anyways. She made a huge book about Queen Catherine II of Russia, and did a great job! She put so much hard work and effort into this. It has really taught her a lot about how to do research. So, I ate my words, and now I'm really glad she's doing the class. It's really helping to prepare her for middle school.







Good job Bailey! You did Queen Catherine proud!

No comments: