Monday, February 3, 2020

January Running

So many fun running adventures in January!

The Butte:
It was a brisk 0* (felt like -7) when we started this run. By the time we got to the top of the Butte, the sun was shining, and it felt great. The trees and bushes were all frozen, and they looked so good! There was a lot more snow than we thought there would be, so it ended up being more of a hike, with some running along the way.

Starting in sub zero temperatures. I've learned this season that you can run in just about any weather as long as you dress right.

Climbing up the last part.

This tree looked so cool! Everything was frozen!

Pretty frozen bush!

At the top of the butte.

Pretty sky behind us.

Hahaha, they were trying to look like explorers.

Another cool tree.
Wolverine Canyon Wolf Moon Run:
Steph planned a full moon run up Wolverine Canyon. We were a little nervous on the drive there because the wind was blowing super hard, and the drifts in the road were really bad. I'm glad we kept going, because it ended up being an awesome run! The canyon blocked the wind for us, so it ended up perfect. It was a cloudy night, but the moon still peeked through every once in awhile. The whole night had a cool, eerie look about it.

Steph-Georgina-Tricia-Mark

Super fun canyon to run up at night!

The moon peeking out for a minute.

This is a cool picture that Steph took.

We found a snowman!
IFTR Group Runs:
I'm still doing the crazy early IFTR group runs on Thursday mornings. I love it because I'm finding so many great winter options for running. 

Taylor Mountain:
This was a longer one. We went up Taylor Mountain Road for 4 miles, so it was a total of 8 miles. We actually finished in the light, and got to watch a great sunrise on the way back down.

Jenn-Dan-Seth-Tricia-Chris

The sunrise on the way down.
Sand Dunes Adventure Run:
This one was hilarious! The snow was deep, the hills were steep, it was dark, and we went running, jumping, sliding, climbing, falling through the sand dunes. Good times!

Climbing up snow banks.

The glow from the city lights.

Margaret-Tricia-Dan
Blackhawk Road:
I learned another good one! This was another long one. We did a steady climb for 4 miles, and then headed back down for an 8 miler. I really liked this one for the steady climb. It was hard, but still runnable, so it's a great hill option.

Running up the hill with the city lights behind us.

The Idaho Falls lights.

Margaret-Dan- Tricia-Jen
Women's Runs:
We've still tried to meet as a women's group a coupe times a month. 

We did a run around the river while Bailey was still here. 
 IFTR Women Take on Fitwall:
Amanda arranged for us to take a fitwall class at the Apple. Mike was our trainer and it was tons of fun! A great workout and a fun way to cross-train during the winter.



Amanda-Tricia-Veronika-Mike-Michelle
The Long Night:
This was one of the coolest runs I've ever done! It was a run to raise awareness for a local organization called Coming Home Incorporated. They provide tons of activities and services for veterans and their families. Services like transportation, house cleaning, counseling, group dinners, etc...The run started at 8PM at night, and went until 8AM the next morning. The goal was to raise $1000, and to not have anyone out on the course by themselves durning 'the long night.' We started and ended each mile loop at the war memorial in Freeman Park. We did 4 loops per hour, and started each new 4 mile section at the top of each hour. It was -1* most of the time we were out there. It dipped down to -4* for awhile. Most of the time I didn't stop and wait for the top of the hour to start each new section. I had to keep running, because if I stopped for any amount of time my hands froze. There were a couple times that I stopped, and then couldn't bend my fingers for the next couple miles.  My goal was to run 20 miles. I started at 8PM, and ended at 3:00AM. I ended up doing a 50K (or 31.3 miles)! When I left, Dan and I were the only ones left running. I felt bad, because I didn't want him to be left on the course alone. I left a few minutes before 3:00, and Stacy got there right at 3:00! So all goals were accomplished; $1000 was raised, no one had to be alone durning the long night, and lots of awareness was brought to a great organization. The Post Register showed up at 2:00 in the morning, so it was in the paper a few days later.

Our starting and ending location- The war memorial at Freeman Park

There were 9 of us there to kick off the event. It was so cool to see that when people would leave, more people would show up. We really have a great running community in our area.

At one point we had about 12 people out on the course. 

After midnight the group really started trickling down.
Dan-Georgina-Tricia-Amanda

By 1:00 in the morning there were just 3 of us left.
Dan-Nick-Tricia
Shortly after this it was just Dan and I for a couple laps. Once I left, Stacy came to cover the crazy hours of the morning that Dan was worried would just be him. Then they had the 'before work' people to finish it off. Dan was the event organizer, and the only one crazy enough to be out there the whole time and complete all 50 miles.
I love our running community. At this event we had so many of the IFTR women show up and represent. It was awesome!

I hurt my foot in January so I had to be on the elliptical for a lot of the month. I still managed to get in a ton of awesome runs!

No comments: