Saturday, February 23, 2013

Back Surgery

In November I started having a lot of problems with my lower back. I would lose my range of motion, and then get to where I eventually couldn't walk. I went to the chiropractor a couple times, but nothing seemed to help. I would be stuck on the couch for a week, and then slowly start getting better. Then I would have the whole problem start again. This went on for 3 months. We didn't know at the time, but I had a bulging disc. I was at the gym, and I hurt it again. This time it was a lot worse. The pain started going down my right leg. It got so bad I couldn't lay down, I could hardly sit down, and I could only be on my feet for a little while. When I couldn't stand it any more, I finally went in for x-rays and an MRI. The disc had ruptured, and the pieces that came out were sitting on my nerves. They tried a steroid shot first, and that helped a lot, but not enough. It took the pain out of my leg, but not my back.The only way to fix it was to surgically remove those pieces. The surgery only lasted about a half hour, but the recovery has been a long BORING process. I have to stay down for 4 weeks, and then I can start gradually working back into my normal routine. Then by 6 weeks I can pretty much do whatever I was doing before. Good thing, because exactly at the 6 week mark is when me and Bailey are going to visit my mom for a little horse riding adventure over spring break.

 All ready for surgery! I was a little bit nervous, but mostly just relieved to be getting it taken care of.

 Most people find this disgusting, but I think it's fascinating! This is all the stuff that squeezed out of my disc area and was sitting on my nerves. That's a lot of stuff! No wonder I was in so much pain!


6 weeks is a long time to be down and out when you've got 2 busy kids, and lots going on in your life. People have been SO GREAT! I had made 6 freezer meals ahead of time, but I didn't even have to use any for a long time. My family, friends, and neighbors have taken such good care of us. We had dinner brought to us for a full week! I get regular texts and calls from people checking up on me. People have brought over books, magazines, and movies to keep me busy. I even have a group of friends that come over once a week for a few hours to keep me company. I have really been blessed, humbled, and realize how great people are from this whole experience. I've learned how service can truly help a person. As soon as I'm up and going again, I will be looking for ways to serve people from now on!

 Flowers from Grammy and Papa!

My orchid from Kassie!

A HUGE Thank you to everyone who has helped us! You have no idea how appreciated it has been.

No comments: