Monday, August 21, 2017

Harriman Park 25K

Ever since we went to watch Mason run the River of No Return last year, I have been thinking about running a trail race. I saw on Facebook that they were having a 25K in Harriman Park. We are very familiar with Harriman, the map showed that it would be a pretty flat course, and it's the first time they have held one there. It seemed like the perfect one for me to try.  I mentioned it to Mark, and he said he would try it with me! Ahhhhhhh! Mark doesn't even like running! I was so stinking excited! I made a training schedule, that I knew Mark wouldn't get bored with, and we started training. We went up to the mountains once a week for our long runs. We quickly realized that we loved trail running! It's so much better than running on the roads! We ran the Palisades Creek Trail a few times, Moose Creek Trail, parts of the course in Harriman Park, Kelly Canyon, and the City Creek Trails in Pocatello.

The river was so high the first time we ran Palisades, that the water covered the trail. That made for a messy, but very fun training run!
We ran part of the actual course in Harriman Park. So beautiful!

Harriman Park
Moose Creek was HARD! It was gorgeous though!
Wildflowers on the Moose Creek Trail.
We had to cross a pretty deep creek. It came up to my knees, and was freezing!
We ran up to the waterfall on our Moose Creek training run. So pretty!
After lots of training, it was finally time to run our race! We both did really good! Mark took a wrong turn, so he ended up running extra. It's funny now, but he didn't think it was funny at the time! :) Mark improved a TON from when we first started training. We both really enjoyed it, and might be planning on another one this fall. We are going to keep doing trail runs/hikes through the fall. I'm so happy we found a type of running that he likes, because I get a little scared of the thought of bears, so I wouldn't want to train for these on my own.

Bailey had practice, so she couldn't go up to watch us. She was really bummed! She left presents for us on the counter the morning of our race.
She's a keeper!
The start!
Mark finishing strong!
We did it!

Results:

Tricia
2:38
10:42 mile pace
Mark
2:54
11:28 mile pace


No comments: