Tuesday, January 31, 2023

January Snowshoeing

I got in a few really great snowshoe days in January, before I got laid up. It's my favorite thing to do in the wintertime. Everything is so beautiful and magical.

Horseshoe Canyon:

Mark and I have a goal to always find one new place to snowshoe each season. This year I hit the jackpot with Joyce, and have found tons of new places! Joyce and I tried a place in the Big Holes called Horseshoe Canyon. It was gorgeous! We want to go back in the summer, and see about camping there, and exploring more trails. We went the wrong way at first, so we ended up doing a 7.5 miler, once we backtracked and found the yurt we were looking for.

This was the wrong way, and I wasn't one bit sad about taking it!

Back on track, headed to the yurt.

Me and Joyce!

We snowshoed in to this fun yurt. You can rented it to camp in over the winter. That would be so fun!

Mike Harris Exploring:

Joyce and I decided to explore some areas around the Mike Harris Campground. It was sooooo pretty! The trees were covered in snow, and I loved everything about it. We got on some random trail, and then it ended, but you could see where someone had skied down the way we were going up, so we just kept saying, "Let's just go see what's around the next turn." Joyce and I did this for quite sometime, climbing straight up a mountain in deep snow. Finally Joyce mentioned that we were in an avalanche shoot, so we eventually made the call to turn around. It was slow, hard going on the way up, but so much faster, and fun coming back down. Loved it!

The sun shining through the snow covered trees was awesome!

It was just like walking through a winter postcard.

This tree was amazing. It was covered in green moss, and snow.

😊😊😊

These views are the reasons we just kept going 'a little bit farther.' 😆

Tricia-Joyce

Coming back down the canyon we had climbed up was so fun!

😅😅😅

Mike Harris Exploring Round Two:

I loved the Mike Harris area so much, that Mark and I went back the next day for his Friday off. This time we stayed on the trails they groom around the campground area. Most of the snow had fallen off the trees by then, so it wasn't quite as pretty this time, but still some awesome trails, and snowshoe options. I love exploring new areas.

Besties! 😆

He's my favorite adventure buddy!



At the very end of our hike, we saw two moose up on the hill. 

That was a fun way to end the hike.

I wish we could have gotten in some more snowshoe days, but I ended up with a stress fracture, so I'm laid up for awhile. A report on that will be posted shortly.

No comments: